Sunday, February 8, 2009
The word 'toaDu' in Tulu and Kannada now means small narrow path of a minor stream. However it appears that in the past was the word 'toaDu' was equivalent of a river. The exact meaning of the word 'toaDu' might have been changed with passage of time. Check for example the two place names in Sullia taluk that straddle either sides of the River Payaswani.
Todikana , Aranthodu
Arantodu and Todikana. These two villages straddle the northern and southern banks of the Payaswani river. From Aranthodu village you can cross the River Payaswani and travel to Bhagamandala, the origin point of the river Kaveri (Kodagu district) through curvy roads through the forsts of Todikana. Arantodu seems the 'toaDu'(=stream) of beside the ancient settlement of Aria tribes and the Todikana is the kaana (=forest) by the side of toaDu, the Payaswani river.
There are no evidences to the guess that Payaswani River was a small 'toaDu' (= minor water course) once upon a time in the history. The deep and wide river valley associated with the River suggests that it was a broad river since ages.
Therefore we can conclude that earlier in the history the word 'toaDu' represented a 'river' unlike in the present usage.
Books for Reference
- A Comparative Study of Tulu Dialects By Dr. Padmanabha Kekunnaya. Govinda Pai Reserach Centre, UDupi. 1994
- Koti Chennaya: Janapadiya Adhyayana. By Dr. Vamana Nandavar. Hemanshu Prakashana ,Mangalore.2001.
- Male kudiyaru. Dr B. A.Viveka Rai and D.Yadupathi Gowda, Mangalore University,1996.
- Mogaveera Samskriti By Venkataraja Punimchattaya. Karnataka Sahitya Academy.1993.
- Mugeraru:Jananga Janapada Adhyayana. By Dr Abhaya Kumar Kaukradi.Kannada & Culture Directorate,Bangalore & Karnataka Tulu Academy, Mangalore,1997.
- Puttubalakeya Pad-danagalu. Ed: Dr B.A.Viveka Rai,Yadupati Gowda and Rajashri, Sri Dharmasthala Manjunatheswara Tulu Peeta. Mangalore University.2004
- Se'erige. Ed:Dr K.Chinnapa Gowda.Madipu Prakashana,Mangalagangotri,2000.
- Studies in Tuluva History and Culture.by Dr P Gururaja Bhat (1975).Milagres College,Kallinapur,Udupi.
- Taulava Sanskriti by Dr.B.A.Viveka Rai, Sahyadri Prakashana,Mysore 1977
- TuLu naaDu-nuDi By Dr.PalthaDi Ramakrishna Achar, Puttur.
- TuLu NighanTu. (Editor in Chief: Dr U.P.Upadhyaya, Govinda Pai Research Centre,Udupi. Six volumes. 1988 to 1997
- Tulu Patero-A Philology & Grammar of Tulu Language by Budhananda Shivalli.2004.Mandira Prakashana Mangalore. p.317. (The book is in Tulu Language using Kannada script)
- TuLunadina ShasanagaLa Sanskritika Adhyayana. By Shaila T. Verma (2002) Jnanodaya Prakashana,Bangalore, p.304.(Kannada)
- Tuluvala Baliyendre. Compiled by N.A.Sheenappa Hegde,Polali,Sri Devi Prakashana,Parkala,1929/1999
Copy? Right - but kindly remember to acknowledge!
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 3.0 License.