Where was the Buddhist ‘Mayi Kala’ located in the ancient town of Kudala/Mangalore? In the earlier days people had to enter Mangalore through boats that landed at the southwestern corner of Mangalore (or through the Railway, subsequently, in the British period). Therefore it is presumed that ‘Mayi Kala’ and the ancient township of Kudala (Mangalore) existed somewhere near the old port area.
Maya-Kala at Old Port
Vishwanath Hosabettu adds some authentic information on the Mayi Kala theme:
A piece of information about 'Mayi-kala', which I learnt during my earlier school days at native place:
Mayi-kala is a place where Bearys burnt wood in lots for preparing 'iddalu' for local consumption as well as for export by sailing ships near the old port areas of Kudala. Kala is a place for specific purpose/activity, as in 'bara-kala', meaning a place for pounding paddy to get rice.
It is true that Bearys perpetuated the word 'Mayi(Mai)-kala', as it is heard (‘Maikaltu poyi/ povu’) very often from Bearys, engaged in fish trade.
Books for Reference
- A Comparative Study of Tulu Dialects By Dr. Padmanabha Kekunnaya. Govinda Pai Reserach Centre, UDupi. 1994
- Koti Chennaya: Janapadiya Adhyayana. By Dr. Vamana Nandavar. Hemanshu Prakashana ,Mangalore.2001.
- Male kudiyaru. Dr B. A.Viveka Rai and D.Yadupathi Gowda, Mangalore University,1996.
- Mogaveera Samskriti By Venkataraja Punimchattaya. Karnataka Sahitya Academy.1993.
- Mugeraru:Jananga Janapada Adhyayana. By Dr Abhaya Kumar Kaukradi.Kannada & Culture Directorate,Bangalore & Karnataka Tulu Academy, Mangalore,1997.
- Puttubalakeya Pad-danagalu. Ed: Dr B.A.Viveka Rai,Yadupati Gowda and Rajashri, Sri Dharmasthala Manjunatheswara Tulu Peeta. Mangalore University.2004
- Se'erige. Ed:Dr K.Chinnapa Gowda.Madipu Prakashana,Mangalagangotri,2000.
- Studies in Tuluva History and Culture.by Dr P Gururaja Bhat (1975).Milagres College,Kallinapur,Udupi.
- Taulava Sanskriti by Dr.B.A.Viveka Rai, Sahyadri Prakashana,Mysore 1977
- TuLu naaDu-nuDi By Dr.PalthaDi Ramakrishna Achar, Puttur.
- TuLu NighanTu. (Editor in Chief: Dr U.P.Upadhyaya, Govinda Pai Research Centre,Udupi. Six volumes. 1988 to 1997
- Tulu Patero-A Philology & Grammar of Tulu Language by Budhananda Shivalli.2004.Mandira Prakashana Mangalore. p.317. (The book is in Tulu Language using Kannada script)
- TuLunadina ShasanagaLa Sanskritika Adhyayana. By Shaila T. Verma (2002) Jnanodaya Prakashana,Bangalore, p.304.(Kannada)
- Tuluvala Baliyendre. Compiled by N.A.Sheenappa Hegde,Polali,Sri Devi Prakashana,Parkala,1929/1999
Copy? Right - but kindly remember to acknowledge!
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 3.0 License.